Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Post #3

I agree with some aspects of what Mill is trying to say, and to a certain extent I do not. For the most part, I believe every individual has the right to their own liberties. If I am reading Mill correctly he believes the government should interfere when someone is going to do physical or moral harm to another individual. Physical harm, yes I completely agree their should be some laws established to prevent violence to whatever extent it is,ranging from abuse to death. I mean we cant just go around beating each other when there are disagreements. For the government to interfere over moral discrepancies seems a bit over the top. I mean where do you draw the line? In today's society, everyone has their own standard or what is morally right, and come from different traditions and cultures that incorporate a variety of beliefs in how to treat others. But assuming that in Mills society everyone had steamed from protestant or catholic tradition, things might have not been as complex. But anyway, I disagree with interfering over a moral dispute, unless it is causing emotional or physical abuse. Your private life and relationships should be your own business. Society cannot function properly when so much time is spent trying to prey into peoples private life, instead of focusing on the bigger issues it might have.

3 comments:

  1. I like how you pointed out the differences from physical interference and emotional interference. I agree with you that it is hard for the government to regulate one's belief system. You did a good job of clearly stating your case as to why you do not fully support Mill's statement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your view on Mill's statement. Government should intervene when someone is causing physical harm, but when it comes to words and censorship, its a different story. I think most people would agree with stopping discrimination or racism, but when it comes to words and speech, where do we draw the line?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree. If the dispute isn't causing anyone physical harm then why have it intervened? People need to be able to sort out their own problems by themselves without any government intervention. Society wouln't work properly if people couldn't work things out for themselves.

    ReplyDelete